Suitable for: All What does this mean?
Resident scrutiny is all about tenants and leaseholders holding their landlords to account. An effective scrutiny exercise should report on well evidenced findings and identify recommendations which really make a difference – benefiting both residents and landlords.
But it’s not as simple as it sounds. This workshop will build on best practice and give delegates ideas to take back.
Delegates will learn
- How to set up and organise a resident scrutiny panel
- What support and resources it should receive
- The objectives and purpose of scrutiny
- About working as a team
- How to choose what to scrutinise
- Methods that can be used in a scrutiny
- How to work with the landlord body
- How to source good practice for the service being scrutinised
- The principles of producing an effective report
- How to ensure a rigorous and robust set of conclusions
- How to develop recommendations from those conclusions
- How to ensure the recommendations are implemented.
Who should attend
Residents (tenants and leaseholders) of housing associations, local authorities and ALMOs. Staff who work with and support involved residents. This workshop is ideal for everyone new to scrutiny as well as those wanting to refresh their approach.
Michael Guest is a well-established and sought-after consultant and trainer in housing. His expertise and experience extends across the housing sector, with specialisms in Governance and Resident Engagement. He is known for his highly professional, yet relaxed and approachable working style that lends itself in particular to learning and development assignments. This is combined with working comfortably at political and governance levels, through executive, management and operational staff and with involved residents and communities.
After holding a number of senior management positions in housing, Michael has for the last 27 years been Director of Michael Guest Associates Ltd., providing consultancy and training to the sector. A key aspect of this work is as part of HQN programmes since its inception.
Michael is a Chartered Housing Professional, Chartered Management Consultant and Chartered Manager. A Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Housing he is a:
- Regular Chair of and Lead Assessor on its Direct Finals Professional Interview Panels
- Registered CIH Mentor for Senior Housing Professionals
- Member of the Housing Academy, including as a trainer and as an Housing and Property Management Apprentices’ Associate.
He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management, the Royal Society for Public Health, the Chartered Management Institute, the Institute of Consulting, was awarded an MSc. (with Merit) in Leadership and Management in 2017, an MSc. (with Distinction) in Housing Studies in 2020 and a Postgraduate Certificate in Corporate Governance (with Distinction) in 2020.
Outside of housing, Michael is a Chair of School Governors, Chair of the Board of a Learning Partnership company of schools and Company Secretary of a Leaseholders’ Company.
We can bring this course to you.
If you have five or more staff interested our in-house training offers great value for money.
Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.