Suitable for: All What does this mean?
Are you still unsure about the Debt Respite Scheme?
This has been introduced to help protect debtors and is about getting people debt advice earlier.
It is not a payment holiday or a ‘free ride’ for tenants. But it will mean that you have to follow instructions from the Insolvency Service around halting collection action for at least 60 days – and it could be much, much longer if a tenant is receiving treatment for mental ill-health.
This course looks at:
Breathing Space which came into effect on 4 May 2021 and covers:
- What you need to do now (if you haven’t already)
- Application process, duration and review
- Breathing Space for people who are undergoing mental health treatment
- Which debts qualify and what debts are excluded (inc joint debts)
- When you can, and can’t, serve a notice or take legal action,(or even talk to the tenant about their arrears)
- The effect on existing legal proceedings
- The effect on APAs and rent/housing costs deductions in UC
- Your responsibilities
- Debtors’ responsibilities
- Engaging with debt advice providers
- What happens if you don’t comply
- How to challenge a Breathing Space.
Who should attend?
Essential for everyone involved in the recovery of debt, including those who need to answer queries and provide signposting advice and who hasn’t attended a previous training about Breathing Space.
Alison Markantonis is an experienced welfare benefits, financial capability and employment skills practitioner, who has worked successfully in the affordable housing and benefits sector for the last 27 years. She has worked with many housing and support organisations and brings her extensive experience to specialise in demystifying the benefits system, money management and employability skills training for both frontline staff and tenants. Her approach is participative and interactive, using case studies and her own experience to take the complex, and make it not only simple, but also applicable.
Cancellations and substitutions
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email [email protected] Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable. If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance. Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.
We can bring this course to you.
If you have five or more staff interested our in-house training offers great value for money.
Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.