Suitable for: R What does this mean?
Landlords are required to process Right to Buy applications correctly and within set time limits. There may be penalties to pay if this isn’t done. This practical course will take you through the process including all the common pitfalls – from initial enquiry to final completion. Get up to speed with the latest best practice.
This course will cover:
- Elibility of tenant – the criteria
- Eligibility of the property
- Tenancy checks for fraud
- Money laundering
- The process including timescales
- Structural surveys
- Instructing valuers
- Cost floor calculation
- Calculating the service charge for flats or houses
- The importance of the lease plan/boundaries
- The offer -S125 Notice
- Dealing with disputes of valuation
- Drafting the lease/freehold transfer
- Instructing solicitors
- Penalties for delays
- Process on completion – updating database
- Post sale administration – on re-sale/ assignment
- Role of the Right to Buy agency.
What you will learn?
The course will cover everything you need to know to effectively take an application through from enquiry to completion:
- Governing rules, requirements and legislation
- Effectively managing the process
- Impact of case law
- Common pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Dealing with challenges and complaints
- Latest best practice.
Who should attend?
All staff involved in and with responsibility for the RTB and RTA processes. Ideal for staff new to their roles as well as a refresher. Suitable for both housing association and local authority staff.
Jackie Dickins has been an HQN Associate since 2001 and is our lead consultant for HQN’s Leasehold Network. Prior to this she held positions at a London borough and two large housing associations based in London, where she was responsible for leasehold management and promoting work in the field of low-cost home ownership initiatives. Jackie undertakes many of HQN’s service reviews and service improvement work on leaseholder and home ownership. She has also worked in interim positions with a number of local authorities, arm’s length management organisations and housing associations as head of home ownership/home ownership manager.
Jackie also runs pre-exam workshops at associate and member level for the Institute of Residential Property Managers (IRPM) and is delivering training for apprentices seeking associate membership of the IRPM.
Jackie is responsible for developing, and is a lead assessor of HQN’s leasehold accreditation scheme.
Price and booking
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Sorry, this event has already started and bookings are now disabled
By continuing with this booking you are agreeing to our booking terms and conditions
Cancellations and substitutions
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email [email protected]
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.
Dates and prices
We can bring this course to you.
If you have five or more staff interested our in-house training offers great value for money.
Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.