Suitable for: All What does this mean?
Having good knowledge of mental health issues is vital for managers in these challenging economic times.
Many of you will be asking staff to do ‘more’, with less resources at their disposal. What can you do to prevent the development of mental health issues or to manage staff with existing mental health conditions?
You will learn
- Explore the common types of mental illness including: depression (unipolar and bipolar), psychosis and schizophrenia, personality disorder, anxiety disorders including PTSD and phobias, eating disorders
- To be able to define the common indicators and symptoms of mental illness that may appear in staff members
- Understand how stress is different to mental health issues but how both interconnect
- Understand how to identify, limit and manage work based stress
- Understand what a mentally healthy workplace is and what you can do to ensure yours is as healthy as can be
- How to encourage disclosure and open discussion around mental health and how to overcome stigma
- Learn how to manage a staff member with a mental health problem while at work or on return to work
- Know how staff members can access support for their stress or mental health issues.
Who will benefit from this course?
- All housing and care and support managers and supervisors and human resource staff.
Danny McGowan BSC, MSC has been involved in supporting people with substance misuse, mental health and other complex needs for over 20 years. He has developed experience in many specialist areas, such as working with hoarders and those with a dual diagnosis and has delivered training in techniques such as motivational interviewing and CBT. He has been delivering training for the housing sector for over a decade and has many years’ experience of developing client/customer involvement and peer mentoring schemes.
Danny uses a combination of his years of experience, current good practice guidelines and research evidence to deliver the topics he trains. He uses a holistic interactive training style that provides delegates with real skills and information, which they are then able to apply back in the workplace and beyond. He has delivered training and provided consultancy to numerous organisations during his career. Notable clients include the Department of Health, Department of Work and Pensions and the Home Office as well as housing organisations across the UK.
We can bring this course to you.
If you have five or more staff interested our in-house training offers great value for money.
Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.