Suitable for: R What does this mean?
Possession proceedings should be a last resort for landlords as the implications for tenants are severe – the possible loss of their home. Any action must be shown to be both reasonable and proportionate. Landlords, now more than ever, with the cost of living increase as well as an increase in mental health issues, need to ensure they are up-to-date with the latest changes and practise on possession proceedings to ensure they do not fall foul to the changes.
This virtual, live training is interactive. Delegates will work on real life case studies providing an engaging and effective learning experience and will leave feeling more empowered and confident in their understanding of how possession proceedings work.
This course is designed for especially for staff who take, are involved in or need to know about possession action and all the practical steps involved.
The session will cover:
- The relevant legal frame work
- When possession can be sought
- Compliance with the Pre-action protocol for social housing landlords
- Relevant grounds for seeking possession (mandatory and discretionary)
- How to carry out justification/ proportionality risk assessments effectively
- Drafting and serving notices
- Issuing proceedings and the court process
- Attending a Court hearing ; top tips
- Typical defences raised against landlords including mental health
- Applying for a warrant of possession
- Case studies for rent arrear and nuisance possession cases
- Relevant case law and Equality Act considerations.
What will delegates learn?
- Understand why possession must be a last resort
- Ensure all evidence is included in court documents
- Understand the current challenges faced in seeking possession
- Understand the impact of changes to the Civil procedure rules on possession proceedings
- How to be prepared for defences and counter claims.
Who should attend?
Essential for staff who take, are involved in or need to know about possession action and all the practical steps involved. Suitable for new staff and as a refresher.
Aisha Akhtar qualified as a lawyer in 2009 having taken a keen interest in social housing. She has worked both in-house and in private practice. She joined Network Homes in October 2017 as their in-house social housing expert. She manages a team and deals with all housing management matters.
She has been a board member for a housing association previously in East London and is currently an Advisory Board member for Inspirited Minds (a mental health Charity).
She has delivered training sessions throughout the country on various topics throughout her career. She regularly delivers both public and tailor made in-house training to various HAs and LAs.
Aisha really enjoys delivering training and empowering people, she makes the sessions interactive so there is an exchange of ideas so delegates leave feeling confident in implementing positive change.
Learned so much from this course and I will be using all aspects in my current role.Cannock Chase Council
The trainer delivered an excellent course and was very easy to understand.
Ashia was brilliant, kept us all well informed, made the day one of the best training events.Bassetlaw District Council
Aisha was really engaging, and encouraged lots of interaction and discussion which I found really helpful.Homes Plus
Price and booking
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Bookings are closed for this event.
If you experience any issues when submitting your booking, please email [email protected] with the name and date of the session along with the delegate name(s), email address(es) and job title(s) and we’ll process the booking for you.
Cancellations and substitutions
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email [email protected]
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.