Suitable for: R What does this mean?
Possession proceedings should be a last resort for landlords as the implications for tenants are severe – the possible loss of their home. Any action must be shown to be both reasonable and proportionate. Landlords, now more than ever, need to ensure they are up-to-date with the latest changes (including those introduced during the Covid-19 pandemic) and practises on possession proceedings to ensure they do not fall foul to the changes.
This virtual, live training is interactive. Delegates will work on real life case studies providing an engaging and effective learning experience and will leave feeling more empowered and confident in their understanding of how possession proceedings work.
This course is designed for especially for staff who take, are involved in or need to know about possession action and all the practical steps involved.
The session will cover:
- The relevant legal frame work
- When possession can be sought
- Compliance with the Ppe-action protocol for social housing landlords
- Relevant grounds for seeking possession (mandatory and discretionary)
- How to carry out justification/ proportionality risk assessments effectively
- Drafting and serving notices
- Issuing proceedings and the court process
- Attending a Court hearing remotely or in person
- Typical defences raised against landlords
- Applying for a warrant of possession
- Case studies for rent arrear and nuisance possession cases.
- Relevant case law and Human Rights impact.
What will delegates learn?
- Understand why possession must be a last resort
- Ensure all evidence is included in court documents (including impact of Covid-19 on the tenant and occupiers)
- Understand the current challenges faced during the pandemic in seeking possession
- Understand the impact of changes to the Civil procedure rules on possession proceedings
- How to be prepared for defences and counter claims.
Who should attend?
Essential for staff who take, are involved in or need to know about possession action and all the practical steps involved. Suitable for new staff and as a refresher.
Aisha Akhtar qualified as a lawyer in 2009 having taken a keen interest in social housing. She has worked both in-house and in private practice. She joined Network Homes in October 2017 as their in-house social housing expert. She manages a team and deals with all housing management matters.
She has been a board member for a housing association previously in East London and is currently an Advisory Board member for Inspirited Minds (a mental health Charity).
She has delivered training sessions throughout the country on various topics throughout her career. She regularly delivers both public and tailor made in-house training to various HAs and LAs.
Aisha really enjoys delivering training and empowering people, she makes the sessions interactive so there is an exchange of ideas so delegates leave feeling confident in implementing positive change.
“The course met my expectations and provided me with the knowledge to carry out my role effectively.”Christian Action Housing Association
“Informative and lots of opportunities throughout to ask questions which was good.”Livv Housing Group
“As someone that has never worked in the council or in court proceedings this course was invaluable”BHCC
Price and booking
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Sorry, this event has already started and bookings are now disabled
By continuing with this booking you are agreeing to our booking terms and conditions
Cancellations and substitutions
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email [email protected]
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.
Dates and prices
We can bring this course to you.
If you have five or more staff interested our in-house training offers great value for money.
Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.