Suitable for: All What does this mean?
This virtual training course covers everything you need to know about the new Act. It takes a practical look at what it means to social housing providers highlighting the key changes and their implications.
Topics covered include:
- The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 in detail
- Who and what the new statute covers, what is excluded and what it all means in practise
- How to deal with problematic issues relating to the statute and other safety duties i.e. access, retrofitting
- Tenants’ obligations “using the property in a tenant-like manner”
- Recent case law and its implications Defective Premises Act 1972, Environmental Protection Act 1990
- The latest best practice
- Common law requirements and the duty of care
- s.11Landlord & Tenant Act 1985
- The importance of ‘statutory nuisance’ and the tenants’ obligations – “using the property in a tenant-like manner”
- The disrepair ‘protocol’.
Who should attend?
Everyone who needs to understand the law relating to repairs obligations and the fitness for human habitation act including technical repairs staff as well as repair takers/administrative support staff.
Richard Paris has an MA from Queens’ College, Cambridge and a post-graduate Diploma in Housing from LSE. From 1991-93 he was senior research officer at LSE Housing, and has worked for short-life and supported housing agencies, mainstream housing associations and local authorities. He is a freelance housing law specialist with 20 years’ training and development experience undertaking educational training, consultancy, policy and procedure health checks. He specialises in housing law updates, dealing with anti-social behaviour effectively, preventing and controlling rent arrears, do-it-yourself possession proceedings, the law in supported housing and the law on disrepair and best practice.
I enjoyed the training immensely. The information and knowledge given was excellent and gave me several answers to nagging questions I’ve have had for a considerable time. Top marks!Trident Group
Very good style the way he got everyone to engage without making them feel pressured.Sovereign Housing Association
Very useful information, definitely will help with my day to day work.SHP
Price and booking
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Bookings are closed for this event.
If you experience any issues when submitting your booking, please email [email protected] with the name and date of the session along with the delegate name(s), email address(es) and job title(s) and we’ll process the booking for you.
Cancellations and substitutions
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email [email protected]
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.