Suitable for: All What does this mean?
Condensation, damp and mould if left untreated can have profound consequences on quality of life and health as well as the fabric of the building. Spotting the signs early and dealing with them effectively is vital to combatting the problem successfully. It is not just the experts who have an important part to play in this. Everyone who interacts with customers and properties – whether on site, in person or over the telephone – can help.
This one-day session gives delegates the knowledge and confidence they need when dealing with condensation, damp and mould in their day-to-day jobs. It has been designed specifically for non-technical staff – developed from our excellently received technical version.
As well as covering the basics of condensation, damp and mould and the remedies available the session considers the impact of recent legislation, including the Social Housing White Paper, the publicity often associated with disrepair cases and the latest findings of the Housing Ombudsman Service (there are high rates of maladministration in this area).
The session challenges outdated and often inappropriate approaches and advice.
The training is lively, practical, interactive and realistic – it appreciates the non-technical nature of the job and takes on board the many demands placed on housing organisations and their frontline staff. Delivered in easy to understand, non-technical language.
What you will learn
Delegates will gain an understanding of:
- Causes, symptoms of and how to differentiate between the various forms of damp and the cures associated with them
- Legislation ’in a nutshell’ and the implications of not complying
- Factors to consider when managing condensation including effective advice and strategies to control or remove mould
- The impact on a person’s health and those most likely to suffer from damp
- How recent ‘improvements’ to stock have compounded problems and best practice on giving advice
- What to look for and what questions to ask to effectively diagnose the issue. What, when and who to communicate to in order to resolve it
- Who to involve and the processes to follow
- How to get it right – what delegates can do to help reduce wasted resources such as the need for pre-inspection and re-visits.
Delegates will go away with a good understanding together with the confidence to ask the right questions and signpost issues so that they can be effectively resolved.
Who should attend ?
All frontline staff who deal with customers and properties including, whether by phone, email or in person:
- Housing officers
- Customer services advisors
- Estate and neighbourhood staff
- Supported and sheltered housing staff
- Tenant liaison and tenant involvement officers
- Performance and quality officers
- Contractor/ DLO planners and admin staff.
Wayne Anderson is an expert lecturer, national conference speaker, chartered surveyor, arbitrator and consultant. His training sessions are lively, colourful and interactive and are based on extensive experience gained over 25 years with best practice organisations involved in the housing repairs and maintenance sector. Wayne has a reputation for simplifying complex issues and encouraging frontline staff to develop a deeper understanding of maintenance issues that can be applied confidently on a day-to-day basis.
“The trainer was brilliant and very responsive to any questions asked.”Thanet District Council
Price and booking
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Sorry, this event has already started and bookings are now disabled
By continuing with this booking you are agreeing to our booking terms and conditions
Cancellations and substitutions
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email [email protected]
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.
Dates and prices
We can bring this course to you.
If you have five or more staff interested our in-house training offers great value for money.
Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.