3-6 months contract
To provide housing law advice and guidance to our Neighbourhood and Income teams who are responsible for providing the delivery of high quality and efficient neighbourhood and income management services to our residents, including anti-social behaviour (ASB), community safety, breach of tenancy issues, rent recovery and disrepair, using knowledge, expertise and judgement to decide on the most cost effective options required to resolve cases to our customers’ satisfaction.
A day in the life:
• Lead on complex cases in conjunction with Officers and Managers and provide regular updates and
briefings on housing case law and best practise, ensuring Neighbourhood and Income Officers are
provided with the skills and knowledge to carry out routine legal action.
• To work closely with our Customer Service Advisors and colleagues in Repairs, Asset Investment,
Complaints &amp; Fraud and our contract partners who deliver a wide range of services. In short, the post-
holder will work with colleagues across the organisation to deliver a joined up service that works for
customers and supports us to be an effective landlord.
• Manage complex legal cases regarding housing/property management taking instructions for referred
cases from Neighbourhood and Income Managers. Cases will include ASB and community safety,
breach of tenancy matters, rent recovery and disrepair.
• Co-ordinate legal activity and ensure Wandle policy and procedure is adhered to. Provide advice where
required on preparing notices and particulars of claim for possession proceedings, collating evidence,
preparing witness statements, consent orders and stay applications and injunction applications.
• Personally represent and advocate on behalf of Wandle in court on a range of housing and property
management issues. Instruct and liaise with solicitors and barristers and negotiate with defence
solicitors where required.
• Provide legal advice, training and support to Neighbourhood Officers, Income Officers and other
colleagues on solutions available to them related to ASB and community safety, breach of tenancy
matters, rent recovery and disrepair.
• Maximise the reach of our legal budget, by evaluating cases and offering a range of solutions taking into
account business need and customer satisfaction, this may include use of CCTV and professional
witnesses, the appropriateness of legal action and negotiating with defence lawyers to reduce costs.
• Support the work of the Neighbourhood and Income teams to deliver an excellent standard of customer
service, leading to improved resident satisfaction.
• Represent Wandle on a range of issues at local and casework level, including ASB borough meetings,
child protection panels and cas ework panels.
• Produce reports and statistical information on your work for casework panels, performance and
• Support the development of a high performance organisation through effective and collaborative
working across the organisation.
What you’ll need to have:
Experience, Knowledge, Understanding:
• Up to date knowledge of housing law and related legislation.
• Experience of evaluating, managing and resolving complex housing law issues (desirable)
• Experience of working collaboratively with others to get great results
• Experience preparing claims and representing an organisation in court
• Experience working in a deadline-driven environment where multi-tasking and independent decision
making is required
• Experience using common sense, intuition, resourcefulness to successfully solve complex problems
• Experience using different communication styles, methods and techniques to effectively communicate
with a diverse audience with a wide range of interest
• High levels of numeracy and literacy
• Experience of designing and delivering training aimed at upskilling officers.
• Strong change management skills with ability to communicate clearly and accurately to a range of
• A confident and articulate spokesperson for the organisation who embodies trust and integrity
• Identifies and builds on opportunities for team working across the organisation and with external
• Exceptional communications skills, both written and verbal
• Relentless curiosity to continually bring fantastic new ideas to your role which stretch you and your team
• Skilled networker both internally and externally – building relationships which help us achieve our
corporate aims and objectives.
• 5 GCSE pa sses at grade C or above, including Maths and English, or equivalent
• Membership of the Chartered Institute of Housing, or equivalent experience
• Evidence of continued professional development
• If you want to be part of a winning team that takes pride in delivering a positive experience to our
customers and believe you have the skills and experience to be successful in this role we would love to
hear from you.
• Please apply with your CV and supporting statement on no more than two sides of A4 ensuring you address the ‘What you’ll need to have’ section set out in role profile by 12 pm on Friday 24 June 2022 to [email protected]
• For an informal discussion about the role please contact Shushana Gold, Housing Services &amp; Quality
Manager ([email protected])
• Please also note that ahead of the final stage interviews you will be asked to undertake an online
• For more information on our Target Operating Model click here http://strategy.wandle.com/ For more
information on Wandle and our history, click here https://www.wandle.com/about-us
Salary: £40,000 Annually
Job Type: Full time
Location: Hybrid (home working and office, twice a week London Bridge)
Closing date: 24/06/2022