Suitable for: All What does this mean?
There are many types of drugs that your residents and service users may be using now or have used in the past. With recent law change’s previously ‘Legal highs’ are now illegal, and tenants who use these or any of the other widely misused drugs available in the UK, could mean legal consequences for not just the user but for you as service providers or landlord. Growing ‘Skunk’ Cannabis at home is on the rise and again may mean consequences both legal and financial for both tenant and landlord.
This course will provide a practical understanding of the effects of all the different types of legal and illegal drugs misused in the UK and will give participants practical skills in dealing with drug users of all types.
Training focus and outcomes
- Drug and alcohol use in the UK: its history and current UK prevalence
- Understanding drugs and the law including section 8 of the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act that relates to premises
- To explore all the illegal drugs used in the UK including previously ‘legal highs’, Fentanyl, Balloons and Alcohol.
- Understanding signs and symptoms of drug and alcohol use
- To explore ‘Dual diagnosis’; mental health and substance misuse combined
- How do drugs and alcohol affect physical and mental health?
- How does drug and alcohol use affect the housing sector including issues relating to health and safety and dealing with alcohol-related aggression and drug-related crime?
- Exploring some simple but effective methods for working with drug and alcohol users
- Understanding what treatment options are available for the range of drug and alcohol users you will work with.
Danny McGowan BSC, MSC has been involved in supporting people with substance misuse, mental health and other complex needs for over 20 years. He has developed experience in many specialist areas, such as working with hoarders and those with a dual diagnosis and has delivered training in techniques such as motivational interviewing and CBT. He has been delivering training for the housing sector for over a decade and has many years’ experience of developing client/customer involvement and peer mentoring schemes.
Danny uses a combination of his years of experience, current good practice guidelines and research evidence to deliver the topics he trains. He uses a holistic interactive training style that provides delegates with real skills and information, which they are then able to apply back in the workplace and beyond. He has delivered training and provided consultancy to numerous organisations during his career. Notable clients include the Department of Health, Department of Work and Pensions and the Home Office as well as housing organisations across the UK.
We can bring this course to you.
If you have five or more staff interested our in-house training offers great value for money.
Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch.