Chat with us live
Key to training icons
Setting service charges and maximising income – a practical workshop
- Type Public training - virtual
- Venue Virtual training
- Start 24 Aug 2021 09:30
- End 24 Aug 2021 15:00
Whilst rent arrears are always hitting the press, many organisations spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on providing services. But few recover the full costs from their tenants and leaseholders. Councils are raiding the HRA to balance the general fund. Lets stop this by getting on top of your service charge setting and collection!
This practical workshop will assist you in maximising your income: we will provide working examples of how to calculate the real cost of providing services, how to identify where full recovery is not being made and how to bridge the gap. For developing organisations, we will highlight the critical path to ensuring full recovery of costs, including an exercise in how to calculate service charges when developing new schemes for rent and sale, to ensure that you have considered everything.
You will understand:
- The relationship between revenue, capital/revenue expenditure and value for money and why recovery of costs is critical to a successful business
- What remedies are in place to assist in maximising recovery
- What can and cannot be charged for in a service charge
- Why getting the terms of the lease and tenancy agreement right plays a big part in full recovery of costs
- Why the development, technical and management teams need to work closely together in the early stages of a new development to ensure full recovery
- Why policy decisions will have an impact on maximising recovery
- How the use of IT can assist in efficient recovery
- The relevant legislation you should be aware of that governs service charge accountability and your ability to charge.
Who should attend?
- Housing directors and managers
- Finance managers
- Service charge managers
- Home ownership managers
- Asset managers
- Officers dealing with RTB, RTA and new developments, housing and repairs officers.
Jackie Dickins has been an HQN Associate since 2001 and is our lead consultant for HQN’s Leasehold Network. Prior to this she held positions at a London borough and two large housing associations based in London, where she was responsible for leasehold management and promoting work in the field of low-cost home ownership initiatives. Jackie undertakes many of HQN’s service reviews and service improvement work on leaseholder and home ownership. She has also worked in interim positions with a number of local authorities, arm’s length management organisations and housing associations as head of home ownership/home ownership manager.
Jackie also runs pre-exam workshops at associate and member level for the Institute of Residential Property Managers (IRPM) and is delivering training for apprentices seeking associate membership of the IRPM.
Jackie is responsible for developing, and is a lead assessor of HQN's leasehold accreditation scheme.
What previous delegates have said:
- "Informative and interesting course. Very knowledgeable trainer" – Shepherds Bush Housing Association
- "Gave me good insight into service charges and lease holders" – Eldon Housing Association
- "Trainer was very knowledgeable and experienced" – Kettering Borough Council
Get £50 off per delegate by entering #SUMMER50 when booking.
This course will also be running on 11 October and 15 December 2021.
Price per delegate
1 delegate: £275.00 *
2 delegates: £250.00 *
3+: £225.00 *
Members of any HQN network:
1 delegate: £250.00 *
2 delegates: £225.00 *
3+: £200.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Key to who should attend:
Suitable for staff of all levels
This course will be particularly relevant to members of:
The Leasehold Network
Cancellations and substitutions:
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email email@example.com
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.