Chat with us live
Right to Buy and Right to Acquire
- Type HQN Training
- Venue Congress Centre, 28 Great Russell Street, LONDON, WC1B 3LS
- Start 28 Feb 2019 10:00
- End 28 Feb 2019 16:00
Landlords are required to process Right to Buy applications correctly and within set time limits. There may be penalties to pay if is this isn’t done. This practical course will take you through the process including all the common pitfalls – from initial enquiry to final completion. Get up to speed with the latest best practice.
This course will cover:
- Elibility of tenant – the criteria
- Eligibility of the property
- Tenancy checks for fraud
- Money laundering
- The process including timescales
- Structural surveys
- Instructing valuers
- Cost floor calculation
- Calculating the service charge for flats or houses
- The importance of the lease plan/boundaries
- The offer -S125 Notice
- Dealing with disputes of valuation
- Drafting the lease/freehold transfer
- Instructing solicitors
- Penalties for delays
- Process on completion – updating database
- Post sale administration – on re-sale/ assignment
- Role of the Right to Buy agency.
What you will learn?
The course will cover everything you need to know to effectively take an application through from enquiry to completion:
- Governing rules, requirements and legislation
- Effectively managing the process
- Impact of case law
- Common pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Dealing with challenges and complaints
- Latest best practice.
Who should attend?
All staff involved in and with responsibility for the RTB and RTA processes. Ideal for staff new to their roles as well as a refresher. Suitable for both housing association and local authority staff.
Jackie Dickins has been an HQN Associate since 2001 and is our lead consultant for HQN’s Leasehold Network. Prior to this she held positions at a London borough and two large housing associations based in London, where she was responsible for leasehold management and promoting work in the field of low-cost home ownership initiatives. Jackie undertakes many of HQN’s service reviews and service improvement work on leaseholder and home ownership. She has also worked in interim positions with a number of local authorities, arm’s length management organisations and housing associations as head of home ownership/home ownership manager.
Jackie also runs pre-exam workshops at associate and member level for the Institute of Residential Property Managers (IRPM) and is delivering training for apprentices seeking associate membership of the IRPM.
Jackie is responsible for developing, and is a lead assessor of HQN's leasehold accreditation scheme.
What previous delegates have said:
- "The course was very enjoyable and informative" – Manchester City Council
- "Excellent!" – Manchester City Council
- "Very informative course - learnt some new info" – Broadacres Housing Association
- "Really enjoyed training. Very helpful" – Great Places
SOLD OUT. To join our waiting list email firstname.lastname@example.org
Price per delegate
1 delegate: £250.00 *
2 delegates: £225.00 *
3+: £200.00 *
*Prices include refreshments and lunch, and are subject to VAT at the applicable rate.
Venue map and directions:
Cancellations and substitutions:
A full refund will be given if a cancellation is made 28 calendar days or more prior to the event, and a 50% refund if a cancellation is made 15-27 calendar days prior to the event. We regret that no refund can be given if a cancellation is made 14 calendar days or less before the event.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.