Chat with us live
Preventing housing disrepair claims
- Type HQN Training
- Venue Hilton Manchester Deansgate, 303 Deansgate, MANCHESTER, M3 4LQ
- Start 21 Feb 2019 10:00
- End 21 Feb 2019 16:00
Do you want to increase customer satisfaction and reduce disrepair claims?
This course will de-mystify the legal haze of statutory obligations placed on landlords to repair properties, and the consequences of ignoring them. It will also examine the implications that tenancy agreements and handbooks have for disrepair claims and the difference between an ‘improvement’ and ‘disrepair’, which can often be crucial in disrepair claims.
This course will cover:
- The Landlord and Tenant Act section 11
- The impact of tenancy terms
- Disrepair vs improvements
- The risk of ignoring complaints
- Disrepair pre-action protocol
- Relevant case law
- Overview of other statutory obligations.
You will learn:
- The landlord’s legal responsibilities
- How tenancy contracts enhance repair obligations
- Minimising the risk of a claim
- Potential defences
- Case management
- Notification of a repair.
Who should attend?
All staff who are involved in dealing with asset management or who manage those that are, including heads of service, asset managers, tenancy management officers, repairs managers, repairs officers, and team leaders.
Mel Cant trained as a barrister and specialises in social housing law. After ten years in the legal profession, she spent a further ten working within local government, predominantly in the areas of homelessness, housing advice and allocations and lettings, as both a practitioner and consultant. She has been the Homelessness Review Officer for City of York Council for nearly ten years and undertakes the s202 reviews for all but one of the other North Yorkshire authorities.
What previous delegates have said:
- "The less formal way of dealing with this course was especially useful. Everyone's questions got answered" – North West Leicestershire District Council
- "Really engaging and allowed discussion of peoples examples" – Paradigm Housing Group
- "A very good course, very knowledgeable, presented with excellent delivery and clear and concise information" – Islington London Borough
Price per delegate:
1 delegate: £250.00
2 delegates: £225.00
*Prices include refreshments and lunch, and are subject to VAT at the applicable rate.
Venue map and directions:
Cancellations and substitutions:
A full refund will be given if a cancellation is made 28 calendar days or more prior to the event, and a 50% refund if a cancellation is made 15-27 calendar days prior to the event. We regret that no refund can be given if a cancellation is made 14 calendar days or less before the event.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.