Chat with us live
Key to training icons
Introduction to social housing law
- Type Public training - virtual
- Venue Virtual training
- Start 13 Sep 2021 10:00
- End 13 Sep 2021 16:00
The Government has made significant changes to Housing Law in the last 10 years. This course provides an introduction to the key issues around security of tenure – what rights does an occupier have to remain in a property and what procedures does a landlord need to follow if they wish to regain possession of that property. The course also covers some of the basic rights that are associated with different types of tenure in rented housing.
Delegates will work on real life case studies providing a more engaging and effective learning experience and will leave feeling more empowered and confident in their knowledge of social housing and the environment in which it operates. The workshop will include real life case studies for discussion and top tips!
The session will cover:
- Understanding what social housing Law is
- Understanding what ‘Security of tenure’ is
- How to differentiate between different tenancies and rents
- Understanding the rights of a tenant including succession/mutual exchange/assignment
- Understanding the obligations of a landlord
- Understanding the Court action /procedure/notices with Covid-19
- What to do when there is a breach of tenancy and eviction
- Understanding the different grounds for possession
- Understanding the Rent arrears eviction process
- Becoming familiar with ASB and the tools to tackle it
- Understanding vulnerability and safeguarding.
What will delegates learn?
- Who provides social housing
- Develop an understanding of key housing legal terms
- Understand the nature of tenancies and licences
- Have an overview of the possession process
- Understand what ‘surrender’ of a tenancy is.
Who should attend?
The course is aimed at staff working in social housing, or those who would like to know more about housing law and how it relates to their role. This course is suitable for members of staff new to the housing sector or wishing to update their knowledge in the rapidly changing housing world.
Aisha Akhtar qualified as a lawyer in 2009 having taken a keen interest in social housing. She has worked both in-house and in private practice. She joined Network Homes in October 2017 as their in-house social housing expert. She manages a team and deals with all housing management matters.
She has been a board member for a housing association previously in East London and is currently an Advisory Board member for Inspirited Minds (a mental health Charity).
She has delivered training sessions throughout the country on various topics throughout her career. She regularly delivers both public and tailor made in-house training to various HAs and LAs.
Aisha really enjoys delivering training and empowering people, she makes the sessions interactive so there is an exchange of ideas so delegates leave feeling confident in implementing positive change.
This course will also be running on 8 December 2021.
Price per delegate
1 delegate: £275.00 *
2 delegates: £250.00 *
3+: £225.00 *
Members of any HQN network:
1 delegate: £250.00 *
2 delegates: £225.00 *
3+: £200.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Cancellations and substitutions:
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email email@example.com
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.