Chat with us live
Key to training icons
Introduction to social housing
- Type Public training - virtual
- Venue Virtual training
- Start 10 Aug 2021 09:30
- End 10 Aug 2021 15:00
This course aims to give housing staff, board members and involved residents a working knowledge of the context in which they operate and how we have arrived there. It will give delegates insight into the development of social housing as a sector and profession, and highlight current key operational concerns and external influences on service delivery.
Key elements of the training include:
- Locating social housing: understanding tenure
- Who provides social housing? Who is it for?
- Changing demographics and new challenges for the sector
- What is social housing and how did it develop? The Victorian philanthropists and early state intervention
- From the welfare state to a business focus: the reconfiguration of tenants as customers
- Housing management under the spotlight: delivering core services in context – key functions, key concerns
- Understanding service delivery: generic versus specialist working arrangements
- Social housing: professional concerns
- Who funds social housing and how are we accountable?
Who should attend?
- All staff
- Board members
- Involved residents
- Any position new to the housing sector
- Anyone wishing to update their knowledge in the rapidly changing housing world
- In the UK or the Republic of Ireland.
Michael Guest is a well-established and sought-after consultant and trainer in housing. His expertise and experience extends across the housing sector, with specialisms in Governance and Resident Engagement. He is known for his highly professional, yet relaxed and approachable working style that lends itself in particular to learning and development assignments. This is combined with working comfortably at political and governance levels, through executive, management and operational staff and with involved residents and communities.
After holding a number of senior management positions in housing, Michael has for the last 26 years been Director of Michael Guest Associates Ltd., providing consultancy and training to the sector. A key aspect of this work is as part of HQN programmes since its inception.
Michael is a Chartered Housing Professional, Chartered Management Consultant and Chartered Manager. A Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Housing he is a:
- Regular Chair of and Lead Assessor on its Direct Finals Professional Interview Panels
- Registered CIH Mentor for Senior Housing Professionals
- Member of the Housing Academy, including as a trainer and as an Housing and Property Management Apprentices' Associate.
He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management, the Royal Society for Public Health, the Chartered Management Institute, the Institute of Consulting, was awarded an MSc. (with Merit) in Leadership and Management in 2017, an MSc. (with Distinction) in Housing Studies in 2020 and a Postgraduate Certificate in Corporate Governance (with Distinction) in 2020.
Outside of housing, Michael is a Chair of School Governors, Chair of the Board of a Learning Partnership company of schools and Company Secretary of a Leaseholders' Company.
“I particularly appreciated the broad range of backgrounds of the participants and the experience of the trainer. I was able to ask some questions and benefit from the experience and knowledge of others”
This course will also be running on 20 September, 20 October and 16 December 2021.
Price per delegate
1 delegate: £275.00 *
2 delegates: £250.00 *
3+: £225.00 *
Members of any HQN network:
1 delegate: £250.00 *
2 delegates: £225.00 *
3+: £200.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Key to who should attend:
Suitable for staff of all levels
This course will be particularly relevant to members of all networks.
Cancellations and substitutions:
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email email@example.com
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.