Chat with us live
Introduction to leases and recovery of service charges
- Type HQN Training
- Venue Hilton Manchester Deansgate, 303 Deansgate, MANCHESTER, M3 4LQ
- Start 20 Feb 2019 10:00
- End 20 Feb 2019 16:00
Leasehold management can be complex and brings challenges that are not often encountered in more mainstream social housing provision. Delegates will learn the skills needed when dealing with a wide range of leasehold properties and understanding the challenges that they bring.
This course will cover:
- Core terms in a lease
- Variable service charges statutory control
- The Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act
- Service charge enforcement options
- Section 20 consultation
- The role of the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber).
What will you learn?
- Governing legislation and regulation
- Dealing with service charge challenges
- Service charge recovery methods
- Effectively managing leasehold services
- Importance of lease terms
- The impact of recent case law.
Who should attend?
All staff who are involved in dealing with leasehold schemes, policy and procedure and recovering service charges, including housing officers, housing managers, leasehold managers, heads of housing, and property services.
Jackie Dickins has been an HQN Associate since 2001 and is our lead consultant for HQN’s Leasehold Network. Prior to this she held positions at a London borough and two large housing associations based in London, where she was responsible for leasehold management and promoting work in the field of low-cost home ownership initiatives. Jackie undertakes many of HQN’s service reviews and service improvement work on leaseholder and home ownership. She has also worked in interim positions with a number of local authorities, arm’s length management organisations and housing associations as head of home ownership/home ownership manager.
Jackie also runs pre-exam workshops at associate and member level for the Institute of Residential Property Managers (IRPM) and is delivering training for apprentices seeking associate membership of the IRPM.
Jackie is responsible for developing, and is a lead assessor of HQN's leasehold accreditation scheme.
What previous delegates have said:
- "Very informative, I cam away with a lot of pointers for my own business" – Johnnie Johnson Housing Association
- "Very good and clear presentation, taking time to answer all questions and finish on time" – Brentwood Borough Council
- "Very interesting and informative, I definitely feel more confident in understanding leases and obligations more" – Places for People
- "Fantastic trainer, fantastic knowledge and exceptionally receptive and welcoming to questions. Trainer has a wealth of knowledge and explained concepts/materials clearly and clarifying understanding. Really great course and exceptional trainer" – A2Dominion Group
Price per delegate:
1 delegate: £250.00
2 delegates: £225.00
*Prices include refreshments and lunch, and are subject to VAT at the applicable rate.
Venue map and directions:
Cancellations and substitutions:
A full refund will be given if a cancellation is made 28 calendar days or more prior to the event, and a 50% refund if a cancellation is made 15-27 calendar days prior to the event. We regret that no refund can be given if a cancellation is made 14 calendar days or less before the event.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.