Chat with us live
Key to training icons
First steps into management – sink or swim!
- Type Public training - virtual
- Venue Virtual training
- Start 29 Sep 2021 09:00
- End 29 Sep 2021 13:00
The most difficult time for a manager is often within the first six months of being promoted into a management position. Taking that first step into management can be incredibly daunting – particularly when you’ve been promoted from within your own team.
The Harvard Business Review article ‘Becoming the Boss’ describes the struggles that new managers face as representing the norm, not the exception.
This practical and participative workshop explores those struggles and challenges and helps you to focus on the key criteria necessary for making a confident transition into management.
You will learn:
- To be able to choose and use a style of management that suits both the individual and the situation
- To confidently manage people who were previously a peer group
- To understand the manager’s role in the development of the team
- To acknowledge and avoid the pitfalls of dysfunctional teams
- To enable individuals to achieve their potential by recognising their motivators
- To delegate effectively and give meaningful feedback.
What the course will cover:
Choosing your leadership style:
- Roles and responsibilities of team leaders and managers
- The six styles – which works for you?
- Managing in the 21st century – exploding the myths
- The challenges of moving from team member to team leader.
Creating high performing teams:
- Moving from pseudo team to real team
- Characteristics of high-performing teams – self-assessment activity
- Identifying and overcoming the dysfunctions of teams.
Getting the best out of individuals:
- What fires them up? The eight desires of motivation
- Challenging the under-performers
- The art of delegation
- Giving praise and developmental feedback.
Review and action planning:
- What’s going to be different tomorrow?
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for newly-appointed or soon-to-be-appointed team leaders and managers.
Sue Waterall is a training specialist with over 15 years’ experience of training design and delivery in both the public and private sector. She is passionate about personal development and behavioural change, and uses her energy and facilitation skills to create a positive, stimulating learning environment. Sue is a certified practitioner of NLP, is accredited in the use of a range of emotional intelligence inventories and holds the CIPD Certificate in Training Practice.
This course will also be running on 10 November 2021.
Price per delegate
1 delegate: £200.00 *
2 delegates: £175.00 *
3+: £150.00 *
Members of any HQN network:
1 delegate: £175.00 *
2 delegates: £150.00 *
3+: £125.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Cancellations and substitutions:
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.