Chat with us live
Key to training icons
Dealing with mental health issues, substance abuse, suicidal and challenging behaviour – face to face and over the phone
- Type Public training - virtual
- Venue Virtual training
- Start 13 Sep 2021 09:30
- End 13 Sep 2021 15:00
Staff often deal with difficult/challenging individuals or situations. Those working face to face or over the phone often bear the brunt of problems, frustrations and aggression and deal with matters that traditionally weren’t part of a housing provider’s duties.
Customers may suffer from conditions, including substance abuse, mental health issues, suicidal self-harming or challenging behaviour.
Knowing how to deal with the initial contact, face to face or by telephone, staying safe and being able to signpost accordingly are critical.
What the course will cover:
- Mental health and substance misuse and their relationship to challenging, abusive or threatening behaviours
- Other behaviours or conditions that may cause a person to exhibit challenging or abusive behaviour (learning disabilities, dementia, Diogenes syndrome, etc)
- Signs to look out for and diffusion techniques
- An overview of common substances, mental health issues, the signs and indicators
- Techniques for dealing with challenging telephone calls
- An overview of the PAC model and it’s application
- Techniques for dealing with difficult face-to-face situations
- Safe boundaries
- Common risk situations.
Who should attend?
All staff who work with customers on a one-to-one basis, face to face or over the phone.
Danny McGowan BSC, MSC has been involved in supporting people with substance misuse, mental health and other complex needs for over 20 years. He has developed experience in many specialist areas, such as working with hoarders and those with a dual diagnosis and has delivered training in techniques such as motivational interviewing and CBT. He has been delivering training for the housing sector for over a decade and has many years’ experience of developing client/customer involvement and peer mentoring schemes.
Danny uses a combination of his years of experience, current good practice guidelines and research evidence to deliver the topics he trains. He uses a holistic interactive training style that provides delegates with real skills and information, which they are then able to apply back in the workplace and beyond. He has delivered training and provided consultancy to numerous organisations during his career. Notable clients include the Department of Health, Department of Work and Pensions and the Home Office as well as housing organisations across the UK.
This course will also be running on 1 December 2021.
Price per delegate
1 delegate: £275.00 *
2 delegates: £250.00 *
3+: £225.00 *
Members of any HQN network:
1 delegate: £250.00 *
2 delegates: £225.00 *
3+: £200.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Key to who should attend:
Suitable for staff of all levels
This course will be particularly relevant to members of:
The Housing Management Network
The Residents' Network
Cancellations and substitutions:
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email email@example.com
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.