Chat with us live
Setting service charges and maximising income – a practical workshop
- Type Public Training - South
- Venue DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol City Centre, Redcliffe Way, Bristol, BS1 6NJ
- Start 19 Nov 2019 10:00
- End 19 Nov 2019 16:00
Whilst rent arrears are always hitting the press, many organisations spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on providing services. But few recover the full costs from their tenants and leaseholders. Councils are raiding the HRA to balance the general fund. Let's stop this by getting on top of your service charge setting and collection!
This practical workshop will assist you in maximising your income: we will provide working examples of how to calculate the real cost of providing services, how to identify where full recovery is not being made and how to bridge the gap. For developing organisations, we will highlight the critical path to ensuring full recovery of costs, including an exercise in how to calculate service charges when developing new schemes for rent and sale, to ensure that you have considered everything.
You will understand:
- The relationship between revenue, capital/revenue expenditure and value for money and why recovery of costs is critical to a successful business
- What remedies are in place to assist in maximising recovery
- What can and cannot be charged for in a service charge
- Why getting the terms of the lease and tenancy agreement right plays a big part in full recovery of costs
- Why the development, technical and management teams need to work closely together in the early stages of a new development to ensure full recovery
- Why policy decisions will have an impact on maximising recovery
- How the use of IT can assist in efficient recovery
- The relevant legislation you should be aware of that governs service charge accountability and your ability to charge.
Who should attend?
Housing Directors and Managers, Finance Managers, Service Charge Managers, Home Ownership Managers, Asset Managers, officers dealing with RTB, RTA and new developments, housing and repairs officers.
Jackie Dickins has been an HQN Associate since 2001 and is our lead consultant for HQN’s Leasehold Network. Prior to this she held positions at a London borough and two large housing associations based in London, where she was responsible for leasehold management and promoting work in the field of low-cost home ownership initiatives. Jackie undertakes many of HQN’s service reviews and service improvement work on leaseholder and home ownership. She has also worked in interim positions with a number of local authorities, arm’s length management organisations and housing associations as head of home ownership/home ownership manager.
Jackie also runs pre-exam workshops at associate and member level for the Institute of Residential Property Managers (IRPM) and is delivering training for apprentices seeking associate membership of the IRPM.
Jackie is responsible for developing, and is a lead assessor of HQN's leasehold accreditation scheme.
What previous delegates have said:
- "Informative and interesting course. Very knowledgeable trainer" – Shepherds Bush Housing Association
- "Gave me good insight into service charges and lease holders" – Eldon Housing Association
- "Trainer was very knowledgeable and experienced" – Kettering Borough Council
To join our waiting list, please email email@example.com.
This course will also be running in Manchester, London, Birmingham and Cardiff.
Price per delegate
1 delegate: £275.00 *
2 delegates: £250.00 *
3+: £225.00 *
Members of any HQN network:
1 delegate: £250.00 *
2 delegates: £225.00 *
3+: £200.00 *
*Prices include refreshments and lunch, and are subject to VAT at the applicable rate.
Map and directions:
Cancellations and substitutions:
A full refund will be given if a cancellation is made 28 calendar days or more prior to the event, and a 50% refund if a cancellation is made 15-27 calendar days prior to the event. We regret that no refund can be given if a cancellation is made 14 calendar days or less before the event.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.