Chat with us live
The future of council house building – a practical guide to making it happen
- Type HQN Event
- Venue London
- Start 17 Jan 2019 10:00
- End 17 Jan 2019 16:00
By lifting the HRA borrowing cap, the government has paved the way for a new generation of council house building – but are local authorities up to the challenge?
The Prime Minister's surprise conference pledge coupled with plans set out in the Social Housing Green Paper – including reforming the way Right to Buy receipts are used – provide a genuine opportunity for councils.
But after years of house building inactivity, do local authorities still have the skills and knowhow to match their ambitions?
This timely one-day event will consider the opportunities presented by the government's proposals and the challenges local authorities will continue to face, from financial and legal constraints to the lack of inhouse development talent.
It will also provide practical advice on how local authorities can get building again, from those that are already succeeding. It will also explore potential delivery models including Local Housing Companies and JVs.
Key themes include:
- The new council house building landscape – what the removal of the HRA borrowing cap could mean
- The different funding options available and the issues to consider
- Delivery models and different approaches to getting new homes built
- Partnering with house builders and housing associations
- Exploring opportunities to develop a range of tenures
- Delivering new homes in low value areas and achieving viability
- The legal constraints and opportunities
- Examples of successful council house building programmes
- Addressing the skills gap
- The relationship with the NPPF and NPPG.
- Rebecca Shrubsole, Deputy Director for Council Housing and Right to Buy, MHCLG
- Emma Lindley, HQN associate and Housing Strategy lead, Ashfield District Council
- Tim Brown, HQN associate and Senior Research Associate in Housing and Local Government, De Montfort University
Full price: £209.00 *
Members of any HQN network: £179.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Cancellations and substitutions:
A full refund will be given if a cancellation is made 28 calendar days or more prior to the event, and a 50% refund if a cancellation is made 15-27 calendar days prior to the event. We regret that no refund can be given if a cancellation is made 14 calendar days or less before the event.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited. There is no refund for non-attendance, but delegates may be substituted at any time.