Chat with us live
The future of affordable housing – how can we build the homes we need?
- Type HQN Event (Virtual)
- Venue Virtual workshop
- Start 09 Mar 2021 09:00
- End 09 Mar 2021 13:00
Housebuilding is set to play a crucial role in revitalising the UK economy in 2021 - but are we ready to step up?
Join us as we get the national picture from Housing Minister, Chris Pincher, as well as regional perspectives from Mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, and Deputy Mayor for Housing in London, Tom Copley
Government has earmarked housing construction as one of the industries that can help the economy bounce back in 2021. Hear from our great line up of speakers including Minister of State for Housing, Chris Pincher.
With waiting lists rising and the impact of Covid-19 threatening to plunge thousands into poverty, more affordable housing is absolutely vital.
There is also the impact of Brexit – what will happen to supply chains and will labour be significantly impacted as predicted?
Recent statistics from NHBC showing a reduction in new homes registrations by 30% compared to last year, it is imperative the sector steps up and starts firing on all cylinders.
But we cannot do it alone. How can government help with this? What have they already put in place? Do they need to do more?
There are more issues than just the simple numbers game too. The homes the country builds now need to be high quality as to not repeat the mistakes of the past new builds, they need to be energy efficient as to meet strict targets and they need to be in the right place and, most importantly, affordable for the local people living in the area.
Why should you attend:
As we come out of the pandemic, building new homes that the country needs is going to be even more important. Government will be eager to hit their own targets, the economy will need construction to bounce back if it is to prosper again and there is going to be a surge in demand for affordable housing as the impact of the pandemic continues to be felt.
What will you take away from this event:
Your takeaway from this is that you will be best placed to go back to your organisation and make the decisions on construction that are going to positively impact you and your area. It is a chance to hear how the national policy is to be implemented, including the Affordable Homes Programme.
Some of the topics this event will cover:
- Does the housing and construction sector embrace modular?
- Does Covid-19 pressure the government into more social housing grant?
- Is the cross-subsidy model no longer fit for purpose?
- How can smaller housing associations get building?
- What is the future for local authorities building new homes?
Confirmed speakers and what each of them will be covering:
- Andy Burnham, Mayor for Greater Manchester - Speaking about Manchester’s work on housebuilding, the importance on partnerships and what more he would like to see from government
- Chris Pincher, Minister of State for Housing - Speaking about the government plans to Build Back Better post-Covid and set out national policy in terms of housebuilding
- Dr Rehan Khodabuccus, Operations Director, ZED PODS and Trina Chakravarti, Project Director, Building Better - Discussing Modern Methods of Construction. Why should housing providers and local authorities be looking at this product to build more homes? How does the sector overcome some of the obstacles? What are the benefits?
- Neil Jefferson, Managing Director, Home Builders Federation - How to build quality homes from a large housebuilders perspective
- Aileen Evans, Chief Executive, Grand Union Housing Group, Tom Copley, Deputy Mayor for Housing and Pat Turnbull, London Tenants Federation - Talking about the need for social housing. Especially in light of the pandemic, why the government needs to go much further on social housing. The positives and how to make it work.
- Tom Titherington, Executive Director – Development and Commercial, Sovereign - Setting out Sovereign’s Home and Place Standard… what it is and why it is important to drive high standards
- Gonzalo Marquesini, Founder, RenKap - Using his product to overcome some of the slower build out times – how to get on site quicker and start building
- Jessica Levy, Director of Communications, Federation of Master Builders. - How we can empower SME builders to help build the homes the country needs and why it is important to mobilise that sector.
If you are in a strategic role, working in policy or a Chief Executive of a housing association/local authority looking at housebuilding, this is a must attend event for you.
When booking onto this event put March99 into the promotional codes section to get this live virtual event for just £99 + VAT.
Full price: £200.00 *
Members of any HQN network: £175.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts or free places at this event. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Cancellations and substitutions:
A full refund will be given if a cancellation is made 28 calendar days or more prior to the event, and a 50% refund if a cancellation is made 15-27 calendar days prior to the event. We regret that no refund can be given if a cancellation is made 14 calendar days or less before the event.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.