Chat with us live
The cost of progress – factoring decarbonisation into your business plan
- Type HQN Event
- Venue Virtual workshop
- Start 26 Aug 2021 10:30
- End 26 Aug 2021 13:00
Social housing boards and executive teams need to plan now for the impact of the decarbonisation agenda on their business plans, according to the Regulator of Social Housing. But how do you go about it and what do you need to consider?
Described by one housing association CEO as ‘without doubt the biggest risk’ facing the sector, there is concern organisations have still not put the zero-carbon agenda at the front of their thinking.
The RSH says business plans are currently focusing on the safety agenda with investment targeted at maintaining existing stock to current standards, rather than planning to meet future energy efficiency targets.
Although with the cost of UK social housing reaching 2050 net zero targets estimated at more than £100billion, it is clear that housing providers need to act now rather than wait for any future funding commitments from government.
At this virtual event, HQN Chief executive Alistair McIntosh and Finance lead Ian Parker will bring together some leading sector experts to get into the detail of what organisations should be doing now to get their homes up to standards, while ensuring that the business remains viable.
Why should you attend?
The event will look at the decarbonisation agenda from finance, governance and asset management perspectives. It is essential for anyone basing their business plans on the following:
- A lack of understanding about the true cost of the works required
- An expectation that grants will be available
- An expectation that funders will treat the expenditure like fire risk works – which up to now has been much smaller
- An expectation that the funders will advance more loans to undertake the works - but the EUV-SH will not rise.
- Alistair McIntosh, Chief Executive, HQN
- Ian Parker, lead finance consultant, HQN
- Rose Bean, Director of Assets and Sustainability, Abri
- Shazia Bashir, Partner - Housing and Regeneration, TLT LLP.
Sessions will include:
- Setting the scene – What are the UK’s decarbonisation targets? What role is the social housing sector expected to play? What are the costs likely to be and where does the money come from?
- What type of works will be needed? And can all the homes be improved?
- What are the costs and what will the impact be on the business plan?
- Thinking about next steps – data collection, project team, funding, business planning, stress testing.
This event is essential for the following:
- Boards and executive teams
- Finance professionals
- Asset management teams
- Policy and strategy teams.
- Climate change/sustainability professionals.
If you are members of the following networks, this event will be beneficial. Not a member? Click the below links to find out more:
Full price: £175.00 *
Members of any HQN network: £150.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Byte Size members do not qualify for member discounts or free places at this event. Please call 01904 557150 for more information.
Cancellations and substitutions:
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writin