Suitable for: All What does this mean?
This one day course provides an overview and understanding of the key issues relating to disability and diversity in the workplace.
It will cover:
- Defining equality and diversity
- The benefits of embracing diversity – the business case
- Disability definition, language and terminology
- Disability and case law
- Discrimination, harassment and bullying – with in-depth case studies, exercises and discussions
- Knowledge sharing and good practice
- Personal action planning.
This is a full day course ideal for all levels of staff, managers and entire teams. It can be tailored for in-house training. The final session will focus on developing personal action plans to take back to the work place.
Sessions will include:
- Welcome, introduction
- Presentation: Overview of legislation – overview of regulatory framework in relation to equality and disability
- Define “Disability”. Who decides? – defining equality, disability and related terms in meaningful situations
- The business case – confirming the business case for diversity, understanding disability related issues, value and impact
- Terminology – considering language and terminology
- Discussion – identifying our own prejudices and perceptions
- Disability case studies – exploring disability case studies
- Case Law – considering disability with reference to illustrated case law examples
- Scenarios – work base scenarios and discussion
- Knowledge share – developing good practice and action plans to take back to the work place
- Feedback and close.
Tahira Hussain (MBPsS), has extensive experience working in the statutory and voluntary sector. She had a 22-year career in social work, mental health, community development and housing. Having worked in the social housing sector as part of an equality and diversity unit, Tahira has a successful track record in consultancy, training and project management. She is a graduate member of British Psychological Society (BPS) and the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP). She has worked as a mental health professional practitioner for a number of NHS Trusts nationally and is a private therapist providing assessment and treatment services to individuals, legal firms, schools and corporations. She is a qualified trainer on safeguarding, professional boundaries, equalities, stress management and personal development. As a freelance consultant her clients include local authorities, the education, health and housing sector nationwide.
Cancellations and substitutions
If you are unable to attend an event or public training course, please let us know in writing (email is fine) at least 48 hours before. Please email [email protected]
Otherwise, a cancellation fee of £60 plus VAT will be chargeable.
If you are using a package place to attend and do not inform us within the agreed time frame, then a place will be taken to cover your non-attendance.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.