Chat with us live
Club Class text
Buy four tickets for training in your location for just £750 plus VAT (£187.50 plus VAT per place).
The places can be used on different training courses or by different people on the same course – you choose!
To find out more email email@example.com.
Introduction to British Sign Language for housing staff
- Type HQN Training
- Venue London
- Start 20 Jun 2018 10:00
- End 20 Jun 2018 16:00
Come on this course to learn more about deaf people. Understand how you can use British Sign Language (BSL) to help you feel confident and professional when you are meeting deaf customers in your work. In addition to learning everyday useful language you will also learn phrases specific to housing, eg, rooms of the house, repairs.
What you will learn:
- What BSL is and who uses it
- Confidence in producing the BSL alphabet and ability to ‘read’ simple words back in BSL
- Knowledge of a wide range of basic BSL phrases and questions, and ability to use them and ‘read’ them back
- Key signs and phrases relevant to housing
- Know what equipment can help deaf people
- Awareness of the professionals who help deaf people
- Understanding that deaf etiquette is different to that of the hearing world.
Course content includes:
- What BSL is, and a brief history
- The BSL alphabet
- Using meeting and greeting signs with residents
- Differences between BSL and Sign
- Supported English
- How to ask a resident a question in BSL
- Housing-specific signs
- Working with interpreters
- Numbers, days, time and drink/food signs
- Putting it all into practice.
Who should attend?
- Every member of staff who may meet a customer who is a BSL user
- Everyone who is thinking of undertaking a Level 1 BSL qualification and wants to have a try first.
Julie Ryder combines an abundance of energy and knowledge and brings training alive. Her background is originally in commercial training with NatWest Mortgage Services. After losing her hearing she decided to use her deafness in a positive way, and for the past 12 years has been developing and delivering a variety of training on all disability issues. Julie has won numerous awards and has extensive experience in the housing sector, successfully training staff, managers and tenant groups.
Price per delegate
1 delegate: £250.00 *
2 delegates: £225.00 *
3+: £200.00 *
*Prices include refreshments and lunch, and are subject to VAT at the applicable rate.
Cancellations and substitutions:
A full refund will be given if a cancellation is made 28 calendar days or more prior to the event, and a 50% refund if a cancellation is made 15-27 calendar days prior to the event.
We regret that no refund can be given if a cancellation is made 14 calendar days or less before the event.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited.