Chat with us live
One step beyond – the more than just housing conference
- Type HQN Event
- Venue Cardiff
- Start 21 Mar 2018 10:00
- End 21 Mar 2018 16:00
Welsh housing associations and councils have a strong track record of providing much more than just good quality homes.
As public services in Wales continue to face the squeeze and the welsh economy continues to lag behind the rest of the UK, the ‘ask’ of the housing sector from Government is rising.
Delivering significant wider benefits for communities as well a good quality homes is in the DNA of welsh associations and local authorities. The latest annual report by CHC on the socio-economic impact of the sector concluded that its members:
- invested nearly £500 million in regeneration
- contributed £6 to the economy for every £1 invested
- directly employed 8,700 people and supported a total of 22,000.
In England a renewed focus on building new homes has led to calls from the regulator to 'stick to the day job'. Here the drive to provide significantly more social and affordable housing is intrinsically linked to the joint commitment by Government and the sector to work together to provided real and sustainable community benefits.
As funding gets tighter and the uncertainty of the impact of Brexit looms, the challenges to delivering more than just housing are increasing.
At our One Step Beyond conference, HQN will shine the spotlight on some pioneering projects from Wales and the rest of the UK where housing providers are making a real difference to people and communities – including providing vital local services, working in partnership to deliver better health and social care and major initiatives to turn around failing economies.
This one-day conference will seek to address two fundamental questions:
- How do we increase our impact when the challenges to do so or intensifying?
- What will the social housing sector look like in ten years time?
Key sessions and themes include:
- The expectations of the sector from Government within the framework of the Wellbeing of Future Generations Act
- The role housing is playing in developing the Foundational Economy and other innovative approaches to tackle poverty and create jobs and training opportunities for residents
- New partnerships between housing and health and social care
- How the supported housing sector is responding to increased demand and funding uncertainty
- Identifying the best ways of measuring impact and success of community investment and aligning this with the expectations of government and regulators
- The ever-expanding need for financial and digital inclusion
- The role of housing in promoting and supporting mutuals, co-operatives and social, enterprises
- Business diversification and how this is leading to reinvesting surpluses in the core business.
- Rhidian Jones, Welsh Government
- Mike Owen and Fran Bevan, Merthyr Valleys Homes
- Robin Staines, Carmarthenshire County Council
- Louise Attwood, LINC Cymru
- Sharon Jones, Creating Enterprise
- Keiron Montague, Cynon Taf Housing
- Ewan Hilton, Gofal.
This event will also be held in London.
Full price: £289.00 *
Members of any HQN network: £209.00 *
Early Bird: £259.00 *
* Please note that all prices are subject to standard VAT. Please call 0845 4747 004 for more information. Early bird ends Friday 23 February 2018.
Cancellations and substitutions:
A full refund will be given if a cancellation is made 28 calendar days or more prior to the event, and a 50% refund if a cancellation is made 15-27 calendar days prior to the event. We regret that no refund can be given if a cancellation is made 14 calendar days or less before the event.
Cancellations must be made in writing, and will be acknowledged by HQN Limited. There is no refund for non-attendance, but delegates may be substituted at any time.